WHO CAN BE A DONOR TO MIKE? THANKS FOR CONSIDERING IT!!!
BLOOD TYPES, ANTIGENS, AGE, SEX, SIZE - WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE THE DONOR FOR MIKE?
DONATE DIRECTLY (BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO FOR MIKE)
· You need to have BLOOD TYPE O or B, positive or negative does not matter.
· You need to be generally healthy.
· Here is a list of exclusion criteria:
- Age < 21 years (in rare cases, BIDMC would consider age 18-20)
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure or high blood pressure requiring more than 1 medication.
- Diagnosis of diabetes or abnormal glucose tolerance (including pre-diabetes)
- History of blood clotting disorder
- Obesity: BMI > 35 kg/m2
- Heart/vessel disease or peripheral vascular disease
- Chronic lung disease with impairment of oxygenation or ventilation
- History of cancer
- Urologic abnormalities, frequent urinary tract infections, or history of kidney stones
- HIV infection, active Hepatitis C or B Virus infection
- Psychiatric contraindications (untreated psychiatric issues)
DONOR SWAP (SECOND BEST OPTION)
Mike goes on this list paired with someone who can donate, but is not a match for him. At the time that a match for Mike is found and a recipient is matched to his paired donor, the transplants are done. If you are blood type A, this is an option. This likely involves time on dialysis for Mike, but does get Mike a living donation.
· You don't have to be a match, you just have to be willing and able. So, you need to meet all the other health criteria as a direct donor.